Changing Gears and Garden Railroad Breaks Ground
I temporarily converted the woodshop into a metal/machine shop over the 4th of July weekend for the lathe milling attachment project and the garden railroad trackbed. These projects are a little off-topic for this blog, but they are both being produced in my "shop" so they will be included in this blog.
We began to break ground on the new garden railroad. As you can see on the Sanfilippo.info site, we had a garden railroad at our old home, but since we move 3 years ago the railroad has been in storage while more high-priority projects were completed (we run mostly LGB equipment). I intend to start small and get a loop of outdoor track running, and then grow from there.
The test pieces of flexible trackbed that I made a few weeks ago were installed and work great (based on Bill Logan’s design). Stable, flexible…looking good. I now need to make another 60 feet or so of trackbed in the shop before we can hit the yard again. We are probably two weeks or so from running the trains on the new trackbed…I’d say a target date would be the weekend of July 30th.
Additionally, I began to cut the metal rails for the lathe-attachment milling machine. They are made out of 1" square tubing from Home Depot. The tubes cut easily with a metal cutting blade in the reciprocating saw and then they are ground smooth on the grinder. Overall the rail frame will be 36" long and about 6" wide at the base.
Finally, my son and I painted the Adirondack chairs and put them in the yard, they look good.
Three projects going at once! (not counting the desks that are on hold for the moment)….I like it like that.