The CNC machine moved under its own power for the first time last night! I completed the wiring of the stepper-motors to the controller board and got the old PC linked into my home network last night. With the PC on the network, I transferred all of the software to the PC and then dropped the PC back off of the network.
I used a small program to test the stepper-motor control through the PC. The program allowed me to "jog" the motors with keyboard commands. Success! This means that the Stepperworld controller board and all of the used stepper-motors are fully functional and check out fine.
So, other than making neater wiring connections (I put them together quickly last night for testing) and installing the carbide cutter. The machine is physically and electrically complete. Tonight, I will clean up the wiring.
The next step is to configure TurboCNC (a shareware CNC controller program that runs under DOS) to work with the machine. Once that is complete the full system is ready for live testing once it is mounted to the lathe. I need to develop a method to mount the machine to my lathe next….and then test the full system on actual wood!