Veneering will have to wait…
Happy New Year!
Over the holiday weekend, I managed to complete all of the plywood patterns for the G&G desks, and planed the wood for the breadboard ends. I also built a simple jig to make pattern-routing safer on my router table and then used it to make the first of the drawer fronts. I am going to pattern route the breadboard ends and the desktops because they need to fit together "perfectly" because of the cloud-lift details on the corners…any gap will show up badly. So, that means the patterns need to fit together perfectly. I spent a bit of time today perfecting them, and they are now ready for use.
I also noticed that when I drew the plans I made the top panel 29 3/8" wide and it should be 29 3/4" wide. Glad I caught this error in my plan.
I found a source that sells mahogany ply on-line and will ship it to me full-size (eliminating the need for seems in the veneer), so I am going to do that instead of learning to veneer on this project. Since I do not want fancy "figure" in the wood on this desk tops (G&G needs simple lines), veneering would be over-kill. I returned the veneer sheeting to Woodcraft today. Veneering will have to wait for another project.
I did learn A LOT (via the web and books) about veneering in the past week or so, and I really want to experiment with it soon anyway. Check out the Joe Woodworker site for excellent info on veneering. I want to build one of Joe’s vacuum presses someday soon. I ordered the basic veneer tool and adhesive package from Joe so that I can experiment with veneering when I get a chance.