Progress on Shooting Board Experiments and Desks
I completed the prototype of the UHMW shooting board over the weekend. It is made mostly of MDF (with a hardwood fence and bench hook) except for the UHMW runner. Additionally, I experimented with using rare-earth magnets to allow the miter attachment to be easily attached and removed to change the shooting board from 90 to 45 degree operation.
The UHMW runner seems to be a success and works great…the rare-earth magnets are too weak to hold the miter block tightly enough in place, so I supplemented them with hardwood dowel pegs in the miter block and holes in the base. It now holds tightly enough. So, one successful experiment out of two isn’t too bad. This week I will experiment with the operation of the board a bit and report back to this blog. Photos to follow.
I also completed the two desk tops this weekend by cutting the four slots for the ebony splines into the edges of the tops with a slot-cutting router bit. The tops are now "complete" and will be stored until the rest of the desks are done. The ebony trim will be added to the tops after they are mounted on their bases.
I then made a jig to allow me to route out the inlet details on the legs of the desks and routed one leg as a prototype. The jig works well. I now need to cut 16 legs from the rough mahogany and then route them with the detail on all four sides each.