Slow Progress and Blade Destruction
I have now completed the top rails that go above the drawers on the desks. Now on to pattern-routing the curved rails that go below the drawers. These will take a bit more time.
I’ve decided that I will use aniline dye on the desks (brown mahogany color) with likely a "General Finishes"-brand top-coat. I have purchased the dye and am going to begin experimenting with some scraps so that I have my final finish mix ready by the time that I need it.
I accidentally destroyed the 10" blade in my power-miter saw last week. I was using a piece of scrap wood to re-align the measuring gauge in my home-made fence, when I hit a hidden nail in the wood scrap. Several of the carbide teeth broke off from the blade at their bond with the steel. Luckily it was a cheaper blade. I have now replaced it with a Dewalt chop-saw blade (90 teeth) that I would hate to damage, so I had better be more careful. Another lesson learned.